photo credit: Usodesita
I just joined an 'old school' bodybuilding/powerlifting gym and it's one of the best decisions I have made for my game.
A spit and sawdust gym might not seem an obvious place to start improving your performance in the middle. In the few short weeks I have been there I can say it has had nothing but a positive effect. Here is why:
© Copyright miSport Holdings Ltd 2008
- Equipment. Unlike most gyms, these types of gyms have plenty of equipment that is best for your game: Free weights. There is little in the way of cardio equipment to slow you down, just heavy stuff you can lift up to improve your speed and power.
- Motivation. The guys in my new gym are strong and they look it. I can't think of anything more motivating to be able to walk into a gym like that knowing you can lift a good amount of weight for your size. Sure it might take some time, especially if you are a beginner but it's a challenge and the competitive minded love that.
- Advice. Go to the right gym and you can get some incredible advice from people who have been training all their adult life. Need technical tips or ways to improve your strength? Some of the people you meet in the gym have amazingly deep knowledge. A word of caution though, some advice can be misinformed. Always check your source before adapting your training.
- Testosterone. OK this one is for the boys (although girls you should be going to these gyms too). A good weight workout with free weights is one heck of a manly pursuit. You feel great and ready for anything after a new personal best on the squat.
- Results. The best reason for using a gym like this is simple though. If you go regularly you will get stronger and faster more quickly than any other way. And we know the stronger and faster you are the better you will be at cricket.